Permits & Registration » Interbasin Transfer Certification
In 1993, the North Carolina Legislature enacted General Statute G.S. §143-215.22I as part of An Act to Regulate Interbasin Transfers (Session Law 1993-348). This law regulated large surface water transfers between river basins by requiring a certificate from the Environmental Management Commission (EMC). In general, a transfer certificate is required for a new transfer of 2 million gallons per day (MGD) or more. Certificates are not required for facilities that existed or were under construction prior to July 1, 1993, up to the full capacity of that facility to transfer water, regardless of the transfer amount.
If you have any questions regarding interbasin transfer, please contact Kim Nimmer at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 707-9019. If you would like to be included on the Division of Water Resource's mailing list to receive information relating to interbasin transfers and the EMC's Water Allocation Committee, please sign up using the following link: http://lists.ncmail.net/mailman/listinfo/wac.
The following water systems have current, pending actions relating to interbasin transfer.
The following water systems are authorized, through either a certificate or their grandfathered capacity, to transfer over 2MGD of surface water.
- Brunswick County
- Charlotte Mecklenburg Utilities
- Concord & Kannapolis
- Greene County (Greenville, Farmville, Winterville)
- Piedmont Triad
- Wake County (Cary, Apex, Morrisville)
- 06 09 07 Posters.pdf
- Background 2007-04-18.pdf
- Catawba-Wateree Hydro Project Relicensing (Joint NC AG Meeting 10-04-2005)
- Catawba-Wateree River Basin Advisory Commission (2007-10-05)
- Catawba-Wateree River Basin Advisory Commission (2008-02-08) Griggs Interstate Water Catawba
- Catawba-Wateree River Basin Advisory Commission (2008-02-08) Kenny Interstate Water Apportionment
- Community of Lake James (2006-01-10)
- Community of lake James Draft PMS Runs 8 scenarios
- Joint Marine Commission (11-21-2005)
- NC Water Law and Policy IBT (2009-10-08)
- Roanoke River Basin Bi-State Commission (2009-03-27)
- Staff Summary of the Concord Kannapolis Interbasin Transfer Hearing Officers' Report 2007 01 10.pdf