Need a paper form?

View our FAQ

About Our Program

North Carolina General Statute § 143-215.22H (15A NCAC 02E .0301), originally passed in 1991, requires surface water and ground water withdrawers who meet conditions established by the General Assembly to register their water withdrawals and surface water transfers with the State and update those registrations at least every five years. Agricultural water users that withdraw one million gallons of water a day or more and non-agricultural water users that withdraw one hundred thousand gallons of water a day are required to register. Administrative rules that became effective in March 2007 (15A NCAC 02E.0600) stipulate that registrants must also report their water usage annually to the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. In its 2008 session, the General Assembly established civil penalties for failure to comply with these requirements. The links above will provide you with the information and forms you need to comply with these requirements.

Persons who have a permitted or registered withdrawal facility under the Central Coastal Plain Capacity Use Area, which includes the following counties (Beaufort, Carteret, Craven, Duplin, Edgecombe, Greene, Jones, Lenoir, Martin, Onslow, Pamlico, Pitt, Washington, Wayne, Wilson) and have reported water use data as required, have met the requirements of the water withdrawal and transfer registration program for that facility. No additional reporting is required for that facility.